To make approximately 20 unicorn biscuits, you’ll need…
- unicorn shaped cutter
- 85g soft unsalted butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until pale. Then beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
2. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Add the dry ingredients from step two into the butter and egg mixture. Gently mix everything together. If the mixture’s too sticky when combined, add in a sprinkling of flour until it’s a good texture to be rolled out.
4. Place your dough on a floured surface and, using a floured rolling pin, roll it out until it’s no more than 1cm thick.
5. Using your cute unicorn cutter, cut the dough into shapes and place them on greaseproof paper on a tray. Pop them in the fridge for an hour to rest and help them maintain their shape.
6. When they’re ready to be cooked, heat the oven to 180ºC and bake the biscuits for 8–12 minutes – until golden brown around the edges.
7. Once cooked, allow the biscuits to cool completely. Putting them in the fridge will speed up this process! Then get your ingredients and tools ready for icing.
For the icing, you’ll need…
- 150g icing sugar
- black food colouring
- piping bag or tube
If you don’t want to use sprinkles, why not use edible glitter or just coloured icing? It’ll still make your unicorn look fabulous!
Time to get decorating…
8. Add a splash of water to your icing sugar and mix to form a thick paste.
9. Put the icing into a piping bag and pipe the unicorn’s mane and tail.
10. Grab your sprinkles and sprinkle onto the icing. It’s a good idea to work quickly here because you want the icing to be sticky so the sprinkles stay in place.
11. Carefully pick up the biscuit and shake off any excess sprinkes. You can add more if you want to!
12. Using your leftover icing, mix in some black food colouring and put it in the piping bag. Give your unicorn an eye and there you have it – the yummiest unicorn biscuit in the world!