Mounted games are super-exciting for you and your fave pony and it’s a great way to form an awesome partnership with him, because you’ll have to work together to ace all the races!
Rise to the challenge
Mounted games involve negotiating obstacles and picking up and moving equipment, which will really test your accuracy and control. If you want to compete, speed’s important, too, but when you’re starting out it’s best to take things slow, then build up to being a bit quicker when you’ve both got the hang of things.
Having a go at mounted games isn’t just great fun, there are loads of other reasons it’s good for you and your pony, too. It’ll help…
- teach him to be more responsive to your aids
- make him super-supple and more agile
- add variety to his work, so he won’t get bored
- encourage him to be more forward going if he’s usually laidback
- get him used to flags and bright objects, so he won’t be phased by anything he sees out hacking
- keep you both fit as it’s super-active
- improve your position and balance in the saddle
- boost your riding confidence, because you’ll be so engrossed in the games, you won’t have time to feel worried
Get your pony used to all the equipment from the ground first, before trying to pick it up or move it when you’re in the saddle.
For more reasons to give mounted games a go, get your copy of July PONY Magazine now