Shows don’t stop when summer ends, and there are loads of opportunities to compete your fave pony over the winter. It’s a great way to make the cold, dark months loads more fun for both of you!
Get out and about this winter
Forget any plans to hibernate just because it’s a bit chilly! Competing through the winter has loads of benefits, including…
- having something to aim for will keep you motivated all winter long
- your pony will enjoy a change of scene
- you can squeeze in some useful practice before the summer show season
- it’s another opportunity to exercise your pony, especially if you don’t have a school to ride in
- you’ll be competing on a surface, so you won’t have to worry about hard ground or slippery conditions
Top tip – Why not ask your yard or riding school to organise a winter show? You’ll be able to enjoy all the fun of competing without needing to travel anywhere!
Competing at this time of year doesn’t have to be any different from going to shows in summer. But if it’s a chilly day your pony may need longer to warm up, so factor this in when working out what time you’ll need to arrive at the venue. It can help to pop an exercise sheet over his quarters when you first get on – choose one you can remove easily, without having to take off your saddle. Put it back on between rounds or classes, too, especially if you’ll be doing lots of standing around.
Competitions aren’t just for summer! Check out February PONY’s top tips on competing this season, on sale 18 December.