- needle and thread
- scissorssmall piece of ribbon or elastic
- googly eyes (optional)
- felt pens (optional)
Top tip You may need to ask an adult to help you with the pinning and sewing.
How to do it
1. Trace or photocopy the template. Draw around it onto a sheet of felt and cut out the pieces that make up the purse – you’ll need two back pieces.
2. Decorate the front piece with eyes, nostrils and even facial markings – why not make it look like your fave pony? Leave at least 0.5cm of space around the edge to sew the pieces together.
Top tip You can either draw on the face markings in felt pen, stick on googly eyes or buttons, or glue or stitch on pieces of felt.
3. Lay the top and bottom back pieces over your pony’s face. They should overlap, with the bottom back piece on the top. Use pins to hold the pieces together.
4. Using backstitch, sew around the bottom half of your pony’s face, then stop when you reach the start of the other back layer.
5. Cut out two felt triangles. Fold in the bottom corners to create ears, then pin them inside the felt pieces, pointing down.
6. Cut some strands of wool for the forelock and pin them between the ears, inside the felt.
7. Continue sewing all the way around the edge of your pony. Tie a knot in the thread and turn him right-side-out, so his face is outside and the edges of the felt are on the inside.
8. For the fastening, sew a button onto the bottom back piece and sew a loop of ribbon or elastic under the flap of the top back piece. Slide the button through the loop to fasten and there you have it – your very own pony purse!
Download your template below and print it out at home!